10+ ACTIVE Raw Organic Orange Blossom Honey from Mexico 227g
Lockdown case offer: use code OB12 to buy a full case of 12 of this honey for £190 including free UK delivery (other countries at cost) - a discount of £60 (25%) off the full retail price of £250.
Equal to 10+ TA MGO 263 manuka honey
In August 2019 this honey won a Two-Star Great Taste Award from the UK Guild of Fine Food. Known as the "oscars" of the fine food world, thousands of food products enter the annual Great Taste awards but only very few win two-star awards.
227g net weight in a glass jar
- The world's first bioactive orange blossom honey. A tastier and affordable alternative to manuka honey.
- Lab certified antibacterial Total Activity of 10.0 (see certificate).
- Equal to TA 10+ MGO 263 manuka honey which costs up to £30 a jar.
- From bees feeding on organic orange tree plantations in Veracruz, Mexico, which produces some of the world's best oranges.
- A delicious batch from the best orange blossom honey crop in Mexico since 2008.
- Raw (unpasteurised), none of the pollen has been filtered out
- Certified organic GB-ORG-04
- Set with a soft citrus aroma and a rich orange flavour
Judges from the UK Guild of Fine Food who awarded this honey a Two-Star Great Taste Award described it:
"Utterly intoxicating aroma of summer orange blossoms, this honey is a marvel of flavour. The sweetness is rather low level but that is a good thing to allow the deep, long lasting floral flavour to really come through."
"A wonderful golden honey, with a great consistency, lovely light aroma of the blossom. The slightly grainy texture and floral flavour are delightful. The honey has a wonderful length of flavour and just keeps going."
Read on for more details about the origin, taste and uses of this runny honey.
The first oranges were brought to Mexico by Spanish settlers in the 16th century. Today, the tropical state of Veracruz on the Atlantic coast of Mexico produces over half of all Mexico's oranges.
Recent years have seen the introduction of traditional organic farming methods to produce oranges free of artificial chemicals and pesticides.
This honey is produced from bees feeding on the organic orange plantations of Veracruz, Mexico.
The orange tree (scientific name Citrus sinensis) is an evergreen flowering tree which grows to a height of 9-10m. It has oval leaves 4-10cm long.
This honey is produced by bees who feed on nectar from orange flowers.
They produce a delicious, aromatic honey, which is highly prized for its citrus like flavour.
Orange blossom honey with a pollen count of 40% is considered exceptional. This honey comes from the best orange blossom honey crop in Mexico since 2008. It has a pollen count of an incredible 57%!
Tasting notes: Citrus, fruity with a rich orange flavour
Texture: Set with fine crystals
Aroma: Aromatic, of soft citrus
This honey tastes delicious straight from the spoon, over toast or porridge, or with good quality yoghurt, fresh cream or ice-cream. It can be used in cooking just like orange blossom water, or where a citrus aroma is required.
In accordance with EU directive 1924/2006 we are unable to make any health claim about any of our honeys. The information given below is either background information about the plants from which our honey comes, or anecdotal based on customer reviews. It should not be inferred from the plant properties that this honey automatically possesses the same qualities or provides the same benefits as the plant.
This honey has a laboratory certified antibacterial Total Activity rating of 10. This means that it is equal to a 10% antibacterial solution.
It can be consumed like any other honey or applied on the skin in small amounts.
Research published in 2018 by the University of Sydney, Australia, studied how oranges affected the wellbeing of 2000 adults over a 15-year period.
It found that oranges were the only food that helped to prevent age-related eye degeneration. Professor Bamini Gopinath, a lead researcher on the study, said:
"Essentially we found that people who eat at least one serving of orange every day have a reduced risk of developing macular degeneration compared with people who never eat oranges."
A 2011 study by the University of Queretaro, Mexico, studied the antioxidant and antibacterial properties of 14 different Mexican honeys. It found that:
- Orange blossom honey had the highest phenolic (antioxidant) capacity of all 14 honeys.
- When tested against food poisoning bacteria strains Listeria, Straph A and Salmonella, orange blossom honey was found to be the most effective among the 14 honeys tested.
Oranges also contain bergapten, which promotes colour and pigmentation in the skin, to avoid it becoming damaged by sunlight.
For maximum benefits, eat a teaspoon of this honey first thing in the morning on an empty stomach or mix it into a glass of cool water and drink it.
This honey can be used like ordinary honey but is best taken as a teaspoon of this honey mixed into a glass of cool or warm (not hot) water and drunk three times a day on an empty stomach.
1. Bamini Gopinath, Gerald Liew, Annette Kifley, Victoria M Flood, Nichole Joachim, Joshua R Lewis, Jonathan M Hodgson, Paul Mitchell; Dietary flavonoids and the prevalence and 15-y incidence of age-related macular degeneration, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Volume 108, Issue 2, 1 August 2018, Pages 381–387
1. Rodríguez, B. A., Mendoza, S. , Iturriga, M. H. and Castaño‐Tostado, E. (2012), Quality Parameters and Antioxidant and Antibacterial Properties of Some Mexican Honeys. Journal of Food Science, 77: C121-C127.
Note: unless where specifically mentioned, none of these statements have been clinically proven in scientific trials and none of these statements constitute a claim as to any health benefit. Please contact us for links to the various scientific studies cited in these statements.
Customer ReviewsWrite a review
I was quite anxious about spending so much on honey. I have always purchased organic honey but did not know about raw honey. Needless to say, I am converted! I am so glad I discovered this store; thank you for a great product!
I bought the red gumbo limbo & the orange blossom. Both have unique taste and its simply amazing.
Has many great health benefits & will be ordering again once I've finished my batch.
I got the orange blossom and rainforest honey and both are amazing honey. Not sweet at all. Just beautiful